UMUC Ventures is a 501(c)(3) non-profit supporting organization for University of Maryland University College (UMUC), a global leader in distance education and innovation. UMUC is recognized for its innovative approaches to education, forward-leaning deployment of technology in support of operational efficiency and its commitment to affordable, quality education.
UMUC Ventures is the transformative new business model that will support the University's sustainable growth strategy to diversify its revenue streams. Established by UMUC and the University System of Maryland Board of Regents, UMUC Ventures is envisioned to house multiple commercial enterprises that will generate funds aimed at keeping a high quality UMUC education accessible and affordable for all adult learners.
UMUC Ventures seeks a Senior HR Manager for the HR Department. Reporting to the Director of HR, UMUC Ventures is looking for a Senior HR Manager to help develop and implement people-related strategies that support our mission and management philosophy. The hired individual will administer human resources activities and participate in the evaluation and recommendation of programs, policies and procedures that support and drive business objectives.
- Serve as the primary human resources liaison for a division/department, in the development and execution of HR strategies for multiple lines of business
- Develop employee communication programs using various media to keep employees informed about company policies, procedures and changes.
- Maintain company salary structure, job documentation and job evaluation systems. Oversee the performance management process.
- Develop and implement company policies, procedures and documentation including employee handbook(s)
- Resolve policy-related and procedural problems and inquiries.
- Develop training and materials relating to performance management and coaching
- Conduct HR training for performance management and management coaching
- Ensure that policies and procedures and training efforts support a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination and in compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations, including Title VII, ADA, FMLA and FLSA.
- Counsel Managers and employees on employee relations matters to foster a positive and productive working environment.
- Work with third party administrators to ensure benefit programs are being managed accordingly.
- Partner closely with Management to guide and drive the strategy for career growth and progression, and acquiring new set of skills and capabilities
- Partner with, and coach managers and leaders to facilitate organizational and cultural change and business expansion.
- Engage deeply with employees to help shape the desired culture and respond to identified issues and concerns
- Serve as backup to HR Generalist for payroll processing and other HR Generalist duties when required.
- Be part of our Start up and comfortable with ambiguity -things still need to be built
- Be a credible advocate for your partners, your team and our mission
- Be a leader throughout speak up, exert influence to create positive change
- Be a trusted business partner and coach to our leaders.
- Understand our business and our mission. It's important
- Know, learn and keep up-to-date on the HR policies
- Learn something new every day
- Bachelor's degree, master's degree in HR management is a plus, as is SPHR, SHRM-SCP certification or other HR certifications.
- 8-10+ years in HR, with a track record of resolving complex, sensitive issues effectively, establishing a strong corporate culture, and advising senior leadership teams.
- Proven track record of positively influencing teams and their leaders.
- Ability to connect and engage with all teams at all levels.
- A sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, collaboration, project management, problem solving, change management and influencing skills.
- Experience in strategic program development; business planning and operational management.
- Experience with and knowledge of HR functional areas (e.g., training, compensation and benefits, employee relations and HRIS systems) and Federal and state laws, regulations and compliance procedures as they relate to employment practices.
- Able to quickly establish credibility with employees, managers and members of management team.
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, network and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook)
- Able to handle multiple competing priorities, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Will be required to travel between three locations, Largo, MD, Adelphi, MD and Bethesda, MD. Main location will be in Largo, MD.